Frequently Asked Questions
(1) Fiberspan Concrete Vigas (FCV’s)
(2) Fiberspan Concrete “Replacement” Vigas (FCVR’s)
(1) What is the difference between FCV’s and FCVR’s? FCV’s and FCVR’s are the same except for their attachment method. FCV’s are made with a ‘Hat flange’ making an easy installation for new construction and for certain viga replacement situations. FCVR’s do not have a ‘Hat Flange’ and instead are made specifically to fit the existing lag bolt or threaded rod etc.
(2) How does the durability of FCV’s compare with wood or polyurethane vigas? Urethane foam or plastic vigas are not recommended as a long lasting or durable outdoor product. If you choose to install urethane foam vigas you will need to apply an exterior paint and maintain this coating on a regular basis. Some urethane viga manufacturers claim that they use a “UV inhibitor” to protect against sunlight. This does not prevent damage from direct sunlight. The only reliable protection for urethane foam vigas is you inspecting your vigas often and reapplying a paint coating as needed. Urethane foam viga manufacturers, in most cases, will not warranty damage caused by sunlight. Fiberspan Concrete Vigas (FCV’s) cannot be damaged by sunlight and is guaranteed for 30 years. FCV’s are virtually indestructible. FCV’s will not burn or decay and are unaffected by UV light. FCV’s will last decades longer than any other type of viga.
(3) I love the look of wood vigas. Do FCV’s look like real pealed wood vigas? FCV’s are indistinguishable from wood vigas. FCV’s look like wood because they are hand cast from molds of real wood vigas. Even the most astute observer will believe FCV’s are made of “real wood”.
(4) Can FCV’s replace the decaying wood vigas on my home? Yes, not only do we offer “Standard Flange” FCV’s for new construction, many homeowners are replacing their rotting wood vigas with Fiberspan Concrete ‘Replacement’ Vigas (FCVR’s). FCVR’s are made specifically for your home, fitting the existing wood viga attachment method whenever possible.
(5) How do you replace old wood vigas if they are going into the wall and without any kind of lag bolt? First, if your home has decaying wood vigas set into the wall, the old wood vigas will be removed from the wall. Then the stucco around the opening is widened out about 3 more inches. An FCV with the ‘Hat Flange’ is then placed and fastened over the recessed prepared area. The flange is set back 1/2″ from the face of the stucco to allow for an easy lath and stucco repair. Lastly, the stucco repair around the new FCV is colored or painted to match. You will never have to replace or maintain your new FCV’s again.
(6) Are FCV’s easy to install? FCV’s are easier to install than wood vigas. FCV’s have a built-in installation flange and FCVR’s are custom built to install on your existing bolt, threaded rod or any other existing attachment method.
(7) Will I have to reseal or maintain my new Fiberspan Concrete Vigas (FCV’s) on a regular basis to protect them? No, FCV’s are virtually indestructible. Once your new FCV’s or FCVR’s are installed they require no regular maintenance to protect them. They are weatherproof, fireproof and termite proof!
(8) Do you make Fiberspan Concrete Vigas or are you just a distributor? We make them here at our facility located in Santa Fe, NM. We ship nationwide.
(9) I need more information. Can I call the company that makes and sells Fiberspan Concrete Vigas? Yes, we can answer all of your questions. Please call: (928) 254-7738.